Long travel times that force you to sit in one spot for hours on end can be hazardous for your chiropractic health. Even if you can afford the more comfortable chairs of business and first class, lugging bags, trying to access the contents of your bag in a confined space and capturing a bit of shut-eye in the company of hundreds of fellow passengers can wreak havoc on your back and other muscles.
How can I avoid aches and pains?
The Chiropractors' Association of Australia suggests a range of strategies for a more comfortable plane trip.
- Grab an aisle seat if you can so you can regularly stretch out during the flight. You’ll be more inclined to go for regular walks if you don’t have to step over people to get in and out of your seat.
- Make a point to stretch your body at least every one to two hours, and always stretch after sleeping.
- Regularly exercise your ankles: roll them in circles and then point and flex your feet.
- A small cushion or rolled up garment tucked into the small of your back can help maintain spinal support.
- Use a travel pillow to ease the pressure on your neck.
- Remember to always bend with your knees, not your back, when lifting suitcases.
How can I treat aches and pains?
If you’re stuck at 30,000 feet in the air with a throbbing headache and not a chemist in site, it pays to have some pain relief in your hand luggage.
- Ibuprofen-based pain relievers have an analgesic action to stop pain and an anti-inflammatory action to relive tense muscles. It’s a good idea to have a quick-acting product on hand, such as Nurofen Zavance, which is absorbed twice as fast as standard Nurofen.
- Topical treatments can be applied directly on to the site of muscle pain. Menthol-based products can have a strong smell that your fellow passengers may not appreciate, so stick with an odourless one like Nurofen Gel.
- Heat packs alleviate muscular pain by delivering soothing warmth to the site. Nurofen Back Pain Heat Packs are perfect for a flight as they are held in place by adhesive plaster to stop them sliding around as you shift and wriggle in your seat.
LIVE WELL RECOMMENDS:
Nurofen Zavance is fast and effective in the temporary relief of pain and/or inflammation associated with headache, muscular pain, cold and flu symptoms, period pain, dental pain, sinus pain, back pain, arthritic pain. Reduces fever. Absorbed up to twice as fast as standard Nurofen. Always read the label. Use only as directed. Incorrect use could be harmful. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.
Nurofen Gel is gently rubbed into the skin for the temporary relief of pain and inflammation associated with acute soft tissue injuries including sprains, strains and sports injuries. Always read the label. Use only as directed. Incorrect use could be harmful. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.
Nurofen Back Pain Heat Packs
Nurofen Back Pain Heat Packs contain natural minerals that heat up when exposed to the air to target pain for up to eight hours. Nurofen Back Pain Heat Packs are odourless and can be worn under clothes without discomfort. They are held in place with a low irritancy adhesive. Always read the label. Use only as directed. Incorrect use could be harmful. If symptoms persist, see your healthcare professional.