It’s easy to make fun of the poor hapless snorer, but regular and heavy snoring is no laughing matter. It can affect the sleep of the snorer along with everyone else in the house, impacting on mood, energy levels and the ability to think clearly. It can even be the cause of a sore and irritated throat (although a simple throat soother like Strepsils Soothing Honey and Lemon Lozenges will give quick relief). If the snoring is caused by sleep apnoea, a serious medical condition that causes brief and frequent stoppages to breathing during sleep, it can lead to high blood pressure and heart disease, not to mention terrible sleep quality. There are some surgical procedures used to treat severe cases of snoring, but snorers should see some improvements by taking up these simple strategies.
1. LOSE WEIGHT If you are carrying some excess weight, bulky neck tissue may be putting pressure on your airways, causing you to snore. Losing a few kilos may be all you need to fix your snoring.
2. SLEEP ON YOUR SIDE If you sleep on your back, there is a good chance that your tongue will fall back into your throat, restricting the airflow and making you snore. Try to get in the habit of side-sleeping instead.
3. TREAT NASAL CONGESTION Snoring can simply be a result of a stuffy nose. If you are prone to snoring and you have a cold, seek out an over-the-counter cold and flu medication with a decongestant, such as Nurofen Cold and Flu PE.
4. GET A HUMIDIFIER When the air in your room is very dry, your throat and nasal membranes can swell. The swollen membranes cause your airways to narrow, resulting in snores. Invest in humidifier to create more moisture while you sleep.
5. USE A CONTINUOUS POSITIVE AIRFLOW PRESSURE (CPAP) MACHINE If your snoring is caused by sleep apnoea, a CPAP machine may be advised. The machine increases air pressure in your throat so that your airway doesn't collapse when you breathe in.
6. AVOID DRINKING ALCOHOL BEFORE BED Alcohol helps your muscles to relax, which can cause them to collapse in and block your airway. You may find that cutting back on your alcohol consumption makes a big difference to your snoring problems (and your partner’s mood!).
Check this out to find out how loud the average snore is: Infographic - the snoring scale
LIVE WELL RECOMMENDS
Nurofen Cold & Flu PE
Nurofen Cold & Flu provides fast , effective, temporary relief of the major symptoms associated with cold and flu without causing drowsiness, including headache, sore throat, sinus pain, body aches & pains, runny nose, blocked nose and fever. Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult a healthcare professional.
Strepsils Soothing Honey and Lemon Lozenges
Strepsils Lozenges contain a combination of two antibacterial agents to help kill the bacteria which can cause sore throats and mouth infections. Try Strepsils Lozenges for fast, soothing and effective relief from discomfort. Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult a healthcare professional.