1 tablespoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper?
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1.8kg whole organic chicken
2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
Red Cabbage and lime slaw (see recipe below)
Chimichurri Sauce (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 220°C and lightly grease a roasting pan.
2. Combine the chilli powder, salt, paprika, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne and cumin together to make the adobo.
3. Coat the chicken well with the juice of one lemon.
4. Next, pierce a few holes into the remaining lemon with a knife and stuff it in the cavity of the chicken.
5. Place a wire rack in the roasting pan and put the chicken on top. Whack it in the oven and roast for 1 hour – 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer. (You can make the slaw and chimichurri sauce while the chicken is roasting, if you haven’t prepared them in advance.)
6. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
7. Carve and serve with our zesty red cabbage and lime slaw and chimichurri sauce. For more tips and to see these recipes, watch the sixth episode of Live Well.
Red Cabbage and Lime Slaw
¼ red cabbage
1 red apple, sliced into very thin discs
1/3 bunch coriander, chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
1. In a large bowl, combine the thinly sliced red cabbage and apple. Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, avocado oil and rice malt syrup, whisk until the three are well combined. Pour over salad mix and coat well.
3. The longer you let the cabbage sit in the dressing, the more it will soften, which is a really nice result.
Makes ¾ cup
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
½ cup avocado oil
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
½ red onion, diced
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a food processor, add all of the ingredients together, adding slightly more avocado oil for a wetter sauce if you desire.
Luke and Scott’s recipes are from their books 'Clean Living' and the 'Clean Living Cookbook' by Luke Hines and Scott Gooding, published by Hachette Australia and available at bookshops everywhere.